Camphill Connections summer edition
09/05/10 16:29 Filed in: Client news
We have completed the latest Summer 2010 Camphill Connections newsletter
for Camphill Aberdeen City and Shire.
This edition celebrates the 70th anniversary of Camphill. It was on June 1, 1940 that a group of young refugees opened the doors of Camphill Home for Boys and Girls at Camphill House in Milltimber, Aberdeen.
The story behind the opening is one of triumph over adversity. Dr Karl König and his colleagues had been planning their community, for children with special needs, for a number of years. In 1938, on the night of the Nazi annexation of Austria, the group met by candlelight behind closed curtains.
They had to flee. But they vowed to meet again, in another country, to advance their plans.
In response to an invitation, they gathered in Aberdeenshire in 1939. With the support of the Macmillan publishing family and some eminent Aberdonians, the group purchased Camphill House.
From Aberdeen, Camphill has now extended to 23 countries and more than 100 centres – all inspired by the original community in Aberdeen.
You can download a copy of the newsletter on the Camphill Aberdeen City and Shire website